FDIC FAQs – 2012 NY Flood Insurance Teleconference - 37

Compliance > Lending > Flood > Flood Ins Compliance Teleconf - Dec 2012
Q:  Can you please clarify flood insurance requirements for hi-rise building such as those in New York City? Also, are co-ops considered multi-family building?
A:     According to Q&A # 11 residential buildings include one-to-four family dwellings; apartment or other residential buildings containing more than four dwelling units; condominiums and cooperatives in which at least 75 percent of the square footage is residential; hotels or motels where the normal occupancy of a guest is six months or more; and rooming houses that have more than four roomers. A residential building may have incidental nonresidential use, such as an office or studio, as long as the total area of such incidental occupancy is limited to less than 25 percent of the square footage of the building, or 50 percent for single-family dwellings.
Further, Q&A # 26 notes that residential condominiums, including multi-story condominium complexes are subject to the statutory and regulatory requirements for flood insurance. It states that the mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements under the Act and Regulation apply to loans secured by individual residential condominium units, including those located in multi-story condominium complexes, located in an SFHA in which flood insurance is available under the Act. The mandatory purchase requirements also apply to loans secured by other condominium property, such as loans to a developer for construction of the condominium or loans to a condominium association.
A co-op is not counted as a multi-family.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION – This Q&A was included in the materials from the FDIC New York Region Regulatory Teleconference:  “Flood Insurance – Flood Insurance Compliance and an Examiner’s Perspective” which took place on December 3, 2012.      These materials may be found here:  https://www.fdic.gov/news/conferences/NY/2012-12-03.html

Add Feedback