Q: What is a “bonus” and if stated, what must I disclose?
A: Bonus means a premium, gift, award, or other consideration worth more than $10 (whether in the form of cash, credit, merchandise, or any equivalent) given or offered to a consumer during a year in exchange for opening, maintaining, renewing, or increasing an account balance. The term does not include interest, other consideration worth $10 or less given during a year, the waiver or reduction of a fee, or the absorption of expenses.
If a bonus is stated in an advertisement, the advertisement shall state the following information, to the extent applicable, clearly and conspicuously (unless such information is exempted by the regulation):
(1) The “annual percentage yield,” using that term;
(2) The time requirement to obtain the bonus;
(3) The minimum balance required to obtain the bonus;
(4) The minimum balance required to open the account, if it is greater than the minimum balance necessary to obtain the bonus; and
(5) When the bonus will be provided.