HUD's FAQs - Must the Loan Originator Provide Names Only of Those Settlement Service Providers in the Locality of the Mortgage Property or May the Originator Provide a List of National Providers that May or May Not Do Business in the Locality?

Compliance > Regulation X - RESPA > GFE and HUD-1 > HUD's FAQs
Q: Must the loan originator provide names only of those settlement service providers known to do business in the locality of the mortgage property or may the loan originator provide a list of national settlement service providers who may or may not do business in the locality of the mortgaged property?

A: The requirements for the new GFE form provide that "[w]here the loan originator permits a borrower to shop for third party settlement services, the loan originator must provide the borrower with a written list of settlement services providers." The list should contain settlement service providers that are likely available to provide the settlement service for the borrower.

This can be found in GFE-Written List of Providers – FAQ #7 of HUD’s FAQs.  HUD’s FAQs can be found at

Add Feedback